Friday, March 25, 2011

The Nigerian Eye

Oh my GOD! It’s such beauty! These city buildings seem to disappear into the clouds and I have never felt so far away from Lagos! Everything here is so cold and grey, not the warmth and colour we get back home – but... eh! This is exciting!

Around me are faces of every colour and every shape, and it is wonderful! But eh, what is wrong with these people, none of them smile. They all wear suits – like uniforms – man and woman, young or old. They look smart, but so uncomfortable, they are like robots! Do they not see the beauty that surrounds them?

In my country, natural beauty is everywhere; things that God created. But God also created man. And man created these beautiful buildings, this great history of Britain!

You know, the Tower of London was built by hand one thousand years ago – eh! I bet its walls could tell many stories about what it has seen!

Five hundred years later, Christopher Wren built the delightful St Paul’s Cathedral -like an oasis of spirituality in a grand desert of business. London’s businessmen and cars and buildings are like grains of sand!

As I walk on Waterloo Bridge, over the famous river Thames, I can see London’s beauty everywhere! Canary Wharf, The Gherkin, The Savoy Hotel, St Paul’s Cathedral, Oxo, The National Theatre, Cleopatra’s Needle, Royal Festival Hall, the magnificent London Eye and the glorious, proud Houses of Parliament and Big Ben.

Eh! These people should stop racing - and look at these wonderful sights! I know they would come to appreciate it!

I have wanted to visit London since mama-mama-mí gave me an guidebook forty years ago! I am very excited now to sit down and have a tasty English Tea and plan my expeditions for tomorrow!

No comments: