Friday, March 25, 2011

Adventures on the Waterloo to Reading

pdm-pdm... pdm-pdm...
metallic snakes to the escape!
exhaling out, we’re one and all
beyond the grey and past Vauxhall

pdm-pdm... pdm-pdm...
ra-tuddly-tum, ra-tuddly-tum
Through billions of windows, the London Eye
Peeps at me and bids bye-bye
We’re westward home, but we’ll be back
Tired. A yawn. And I see black.

ra-tuddly-tum, ra-tuddly-tum
“tss-tss-tsstsssss, tss-tss-tsstsssss”
Beep-beep: “It’s me....I’m on the train”
Eyes open once again...
Tall flats high start to whizz right by
Wondering I, if they reach the sky
Lucky old things, to live up there
Watching the weaving and worming down here
Pah-duhm, pah-duhm, paa-darm, par-daah...

“This is Clapham Junction”

A rush of cold as night fights commuters to a seat
Unmusical chairs and quick! Pick a place to rest feet!
Some disappointed air-apparent bums.
A disembodied voice above booms -
(Forcing people out of reading and crosswords)
“This train is going to...” - a list of names in the surburbs
An urgent, manic beep-beep-beep-beep-beep
Squishing in like ssh-ssh-ssh-ssh-sheep
Wisssst! A snort and giddy-up blue horsey....
Don’t stop now, till you’ve finished this course
And -
Pdm-pdm, pdm-pdm - off and away!
We’re going fast! We’ll be okay...

Over the river, over the Thames
Leaving behind all London’s gems
Oh what a day! I-saw-so-much!
Biddlybiddly, biddlybiddly
Nelson’s Column, Buckingham Palace, big Big-Ben
Biggily-Ben, Biggily-Ben, Biggily-wiggly-Ben
The fun and noise, the shops and toys
Interesting facts
Covent Garden - clowns and acts, Oxford Street was really packed
Beep-beep traffic, taxis, tourists, buskers, pedi-cabs and lights
Bridges, barges, barging, beggars, bendy buses, bikes
Buildings fly past and London’s gone
racing, racing, chasing the sun!
Moving fast, moving fast
Passing Putney, Putney’s passed
Off and on, down and up,
Plastic coffee cup

Roaming robots, fight my gaze
Fluttering print of news today
“frruffle-frruffle, sniff and cough”
In a bubble, then they’re off.

Passengers pushed have shushed, there’s peace in the air
Train sways the standing, but I’m in a rocking chair –
Rocking
Lulling
Groaning
Close my eyes...
Surprise!
I’m on a big, wooden pirate ship!
Creaking
Killing
Drowning?

We’ve stopped in Feltham, adventure at an end
Onto the platform, by big strong hand
Voice asks if I enjoyed the day I had
I yaaaaawn and smile – “I did, thanks Dad.”
We watch the train shrink into the faraway
I ask Dad, “Can we go to London again, another day?”

No comments: