Saturday, December 15, 2012

Fallen Petals

Written in response to the shootings at Sandy Hook Elementary School on 14 December 2012 and dedicated to all those involved.  I wrote the first stanza in an accidental haiku, after hearing that several hours later those poor babies were still at the "crime scene", but I had more to say.  Whilst I was writing, the news channel I had on were re-showing President Obama's response.  His bible quote, "heal the broken-hearted and bind up their wounds" summed up, for me, how, regardless of religion, anyone would feel - although, one imagines, these heartfelt sentiments are of little help to the families and community now forever crippled with grief.

Fallen petals from the bud
Unallowed to bloom
Lie cold in a cold, still room.

The alphabet stops at Y...
Empty arms and eyes tear-filled...
Horror unconscionable...

Oh, “heal the broken-hearted
And bind up their wounds.”
And let their comfort come soon.

No love enough to fill hearts
Left darkened, shattered, froze.
My helpless symbol – a rose.

 

No comments: